Over the four years of 52 Quilts in 52 Weeks, 16 posts have been about this quilt. It's about time to finish it, don't you think?
I started this massive project in the Spring of 2010, when I first saw the book at the Pueblo Quilt Expo. I spied the book and a fat quarter tower of Civil War reproduction fabrics at a booth from Texas. In the next aisle, I saw that my LQS, High Country Quilts, was also selling the book. I asked Jean about it and she said they were doing it as a BOM. Karen led the group, and also designed foundation piecing patterns for many of the more difficult blocks.
I plugged along for a couple of years, making two or three blocks a month. But not really making a lot of progress. Then, last year I saw that Marti Michell had written conversion charts for using her From Marti Michell templates to make these complex 6.5" blocks. Yay!
Progress at last. My only surviving brother and his wife will celebrate 50 years of marriage this June. (I'll try to find the photo of my sister and me wearing dresses made by my mother for the wedding.) So I decided, since he is the only Dyer boy who became a Farmer, they should have this quilt. And the pressure is on!
A few of the blocks had come out smaller than 6.5" -- rather than try to compensate for that in the sashing strips, I decided to re-sew them using Marti's templates. And last night, I finished the last block.
No sashing yet, I'll decide what fabric to use today when I visit Ruth's Stitchery for Wednesday Block Party. But all the blocks are finished! All the blocks are finished! All the blocks are finished!
Here are some closeups of a few of my favorite blocks.
First, the Red Cross block. This one isn't in the book, it was a special gift design from Karen. I used it to replace a block that was a duplicate.
I'm quite proud of this block, #94, Tall Pine Tree. It is one of about 10 blocks for which Marti did not write a conversion. So I used my Bloc-Loc Half Rectangle Triangle ruler and made my own.
This is one I re-made because it was too small, #99, Women's Christian Temperance Union. I used the colors of the Women's Suffrage Movement, purple, white and green.
On the left is #45, Grape Basket. That's 30 pieces in a 6.5" block. Ahem. On the right is one that would have been impossible without Karen's foundation piecing design, Night and Day.
Linking up to Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts.
And WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.
If blog posts are scant the next week, it's because I'm busily sashing this doozy of a quilt!
From the desk of your